Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vintage Dresses from The Garden District of New Orleans

As we were stumbling around New Orleans last weekend - exploring neighborhoods and popping in and out of estate sales, we fell upon a large house/mansion in the Garden District of New Orleans in which a few ladies had propped up a tent and were unloading cases of clothing to sell.  At first glance, it did not look that exciting to me... until a certain large, beautiful button caught my eye from the bottom of one of her clothing piles.  When I got closer, I realized that these were all vintage gems - racks and rack of them!  I'm talking real-deal vintage, mostly from the 1960's.  I was delighted to go through each and every article and admire its craftsmanship, fabric, and styling, but for the sake of my toe-tapping husband I just selected a few to resuscitate and recycle back into the world... Check these out:

An adorable 1960's nautical navy blue and white drop waist scooter dress with a pleated skirt:
Nautical 1960's Scooter Dress

A 1960's Jackie-O style shift dress in a beautiful pale sage w/ impeccable tailoring and construction.  Believe it or not, this one is sought after by a woman in Singapore!  It may be making its way to her home later this week!

Jackie O 1960's Shift Dress





My personal favorite - the 1960's full length blue-green floral gown with matching sheer full length jacket:

Full Length 1960's Blue-Green Floral Gown with Matching Full Length Sheer Jacket

Looks great without the jacket too!


A colorful cotton print handmade dress in vibrant late summer colors.  This fabric reminds me of something you'd see in Anthropologie - it is so awesome!  Belt it or leave it loose:

Vintage Handmade Cotton "Mock Anthropologie" Dress


And - are you ready for this?  How about a boho-chic casual wedding lace wedding dress?  Check this one out - a full length lace exterior with a long white slip dress underneath (with a pretty white lace overhang).  I'm loving this gypsy/bohemian look!  I'm guessing this is more 1970's...
Boho Chic Gypsy Lace Casual Wedding Gown



Or dress it down for casual bohemian fun
And finally... although it is vintage, here is a timeless classic: a navy blue and white strip shirt dress.  Probably from the 1970's.  Can't go wrong with this!

Vintage Navy Blue and White Shirtdress




Hope you enjoyed my trip to the past!  Check out more photos of these dresses and other vintage items in my shop: New Orleans Eclectics.




No comments:

Post a Comment